ISSCO, which stands for the International Society for the Study of Chinese Overseas, is
the first and only international scholarly organization for the advancement of research on Chinese overseas. ISSCO was established in August 1993 by a group of international scholars interested in studying the Chinese overseas, led by Professor Wang Gungwu (NUS/CHC), Prof. Wang Lingchi (Berkeley), and Ms Teresita Ang See (Kaisa, The Philippines). It has now an twenty-two-year history and has regularly held regional and international conferences all over the world.
ISSCO is a non-political, non-stock, non-profit, professional society composed of individuals, organizations and institutions interested in and committed to:
- Promote interest in and scholarly study of Chinese overseas in schools, universities, professional government organizations, government agencies, and community organizations;
- Promote cooperative activities and exchange of information within the field of the study of Chinese overseas;
- Facilitate contact and exchange of information between scholars and scholarly organizations interested in such studies;
- Provide means for the publication of scholarly research and other materials designed to promote such studies;
- Support library and museum projects designed to enhance research in such studies;
- Advance widespread recognition and constant improvements of professional standards in the study of Chinese overseas;
- Organize and support national and international forums or conferences on topics related to the study of Chinese overseas.
The University of British Columbia is pleased to announce that it will host the 9th ISSCO conference for the International Society for the Study of Chinese Overseas. The event will be held in Richmond, Canada at the Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel from July 6-8, 2016. This will mark only the second time in ISSCO’s nearly 25-year long history that the society will be meeting in North America, and the first time since the inaugural ISSCO meeting was held in San Francisco way back in 1992. We hope you will join us in our efforts to make ISSCO IX in Vancouver the most memorable ISSCO conference to date.
For more on the history of ISSCO, click here.